Director of DevelopmentCompany: Youth Villages
Date Posted: April 27, 2017
Founded in 1986, Youth Villages is a nationally-recognized organization that helps troubled youth and their families live successfully. With a high-performing and dedicated staff of more than 2,800, currently working in 13 states and the District of Columbia, and an annual operating budget over $200 million, the organization serves more than 22,000 emotionally and behaviorally challenged youth annually through its comprehensive, evidence-based programs.
Youth Villages has spent 30 years pioneering an approach that is measurably better for children and their families and provides a remarkably better return on investment for those who fund these services (both public and private). In 2016, 86% percent of the youth served by YV have remained at home successfully two years after completing the program. Data collected through June of 2015 show that more than 80% of children served though Youth Villages in-home services report no trouble with the law, and nearly 90% are in school, graduated from high school, or enrolled in GED classes.
The White Office of Social Innovation recognized Youth Villages in 2009 as a nonprofit with “promising ideas that are transforming communities.” Youth Villages Chief Executive Officer, Patrick Lawler, was named one of “America’s Best Leaders” by U.S. News and World Report and the Center for Public Leadership at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government.
For more information, please visit www.youthvillages.org.
Formed in 2011 through a merger with ChristieCare, an Oregon institution that served thousands of children and families since 1859, Youth Villages Oregon continues this heritage of helping children and strengthening families. With a focus on community-based services, Youth Villages Oregon is committed to providing the most effective and cost-efficient treatment options to help children with emotional and behavioral issues, their families, and youth aging out of state custody live successfully. Youth Villages Oregon serves approximately 1,000 children and families annually, and, over the last two years, has streamlined and prioritized its programming to focus on the following effective programs and services: Intercept Intensive In-home services; YVLifeSet; Emergency Room (ER) Diversion; and Mosaic.
Youth Villages Oregon is seeking an engaging and experienced Director of Development who is committed to serving children and families to join the team and lead an expanded individual giving and corporate fundraising program in the region. Ideal candidates will be accomplished fundraisers who have delivered positive and sustained impact in organizations in which relationship-building and collaboration were critical to success. This individual, in partnership with the Executive Director of Oregon, the national Chief Development Officer, and the local advisory board, will further develop and execute strategic fundraising plans and communication strategies for the region, with a particular focus on increasing individual and corporate support for the YVLifeSet program. YVLifeSet, which provides at-risk youth and young adults aging out of the foster care, juvenile justice and mental health systems with intensive in-home support and guidance, was independently evaluated by MDRC through a randomized controlled trial. The program was proven to have statistically significant impact in several domains, including participants’ earnings, housing stability and economic well-being, and improved mental health.
This is a phenomenal opportunity for an engaging and passionate professional to have a major impact on a growing, dynamic organization, and on youth services in this country.
- Lead the development and implementation of an integrated development strategy, aligned with the overall goals and strategic direction of Youth Villages Oregon, that incorporates individual, corporate, foundation, and government support
- Develop comprehensive, proactive strategies for maximizing giving among existing and prospective major donors
- Proactively seek new funding sources and maintain relationships with current/past donors by determining the appropriate roles for staff and Board members to play in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors and prospects; coordinate and support staff and Board members in executing on donor-specific strategies as needed
- Identify opportunities to refine existing development processes and systems, or to introduce new ones, in order to ensure that this infrastructure supports the effective functioning of the growing development team
- In partnership with the National Communications team, implement a strategic public relations plan that supports fundraising efforts and effectively communicates the impact of Youth Villages Oregon’s work
- Oversee the creation and editing of grant proposals, solicitation letters and individual donor proposals, coordinating among staff and/or with consultants on content
The Director of Development will be an accomplished development professional and an energetic leader who has a passion for the mission of Youth Villages. Specifically, we are seeking an individual with:
- Significant development experience and broad knowledge of fundraising, with a track record of success in building relationships with individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Demonstrated ability to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual donors, with excellent relationship-building skills and compelling written and oral communication skills
- Collaborative leader who can foster effective and thoughtful partnerships with staff, board members and the national team by providing appropriate direction and support
- Strong strategic ability coupled with the project management skills and results-orientation needed to execute independently and achieve results
- Experience working in social services/healthcare sector(s) and/or thorough understanding of the greater Portland philanthropic community
- Knowledge of best practices for development infrastructure, including development information systems, planning
- Deep appreciation for and commitment to Youth Villages’ mission of helping Oregon’s most vulnerable children and families
Please upload a resume and cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Andrew Grover, using the following link:
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Youth Villages offers a competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and skills. Youth Villages is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers
Youth Villages has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Director of Development. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 800 searches at 300 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.