The National Multiple Sclerosis Society, a non-profit health organization, is seeking a President for its Oregon state market. This position is to be located in the Portland office. The market has a $2.4 million annual revenue budget.
The President engages community leaders in achieving Society priorities -- most importantly, in raising funds. She or he must passionately communicate about the Society's research, services and advocacy strategies and how the Society impacts the lives of people affected by MS. This requires a deep understanding of the communities in the chapter territory and an ability to engage with a wide range of people.
The President ensures consistency in the implementation of operational plans--always contributing to continuous improvement. As a member of the Society Leadership and Management Team, the president must have a Society-wide perspective.
The President clearly articulates and models the Society culture. She or he ensures Operating Principles are reflected in staff and volunteer behaviors. The trust and confidence in the Society of all constituent groups is a reflection of the president's effectiveness.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Ensure Leadership volunteer engagement in communities throughout the territory
- Build trust and confidence in the Society as the leadership executive in an assigned territory
- Develop and cultivate an active and engaged Board of Trustees and Community Engagement Committee
- Coach and develop staff and volunteers to be effective at community engagement
- Connect and convene people to learn, participate, advise and contribute at their highest level
- Identify, engage, leverage and cultivate community resources, influence and connections
- Identify talent for Society committees and work teams. Expand and deepen involvement of volunteers throughout the Society
- Ensure a consistent experience for people affected by MS, volunteers and participants, regardless of where people live.
2. Drive revenue growth
- Participate in setting and ensuring the achievement of revenue targets; using Society metrics, plan and tools for effective management and plan execution
- Ensure the Board of Trustees supports and is engaged in the achievement of revenue targets
- Coach staff members and develop the staff team to achieve revenue targets
- Ensure an active and engaged Donor Relations committee
- Identify, cultivate, steward and recognize top relationships (donors, fundraisers, teams, corporate and community partners)
- Manage a portfolio of top relationships and participate in relationship management teams (often leading the teams)
- Identify new and potential donors through community connections
- Ensure effective volunteer event committees and volunteer engagement is aligned to Society revenue plans
3. Increase operational effectiveness and capacity
- Demonstrate a commitment to all Society staff growth and development. Actively participate in the professional development plans and activities of staff.
- Identify, develop and grow staff and volunteer capacity (skills and talents) to achieve measurable and sustainable results while removing obstacles
- Ensure staff and volunteer leadership behaviors are aligned with Society Operating Principles; provide timely feedback and coaching to improve performance and behaviors
- Participate in decision-making and professional development as a member of the Society Leadership and Management Team (and other Society leadership and work teams, as appropriate)
- Recognize and actively support the role and work of the strategy leadership teams
- Provide leadership in annual budget development, accurate forecasting and resource management and communicate progress to REVP and board of trustees
- Ensure operations are effectively managed and aligned with Society practices; adhering to all Society policies and procedures
- Recognize and remove obstacles to organizational effectiveness; demonstrate and actively contribute to continuous improvement
- Maintain a strong sense of teamwork and foster a positive working environment
- BA/BS plus 6-10 years related experience
- Demonstrated successful leadership experience with a history of job growth and advancement, preferably with non-profit organizations
- Experience working in a cross functional and complex reporting structure
- Experience in special events and traditional fundraising with success in developing and cultivating relationships to secure gifts and contributions from individuals and corporations
- Experience in community engagement and volunteer development
- Experience in budget management, forecasting and resource development with a proven ability to meet financial goals
- Successful track record in developing high performing staff teams and creating positive workplace environments
- Demonstrated success developing effective nonprofit board
- Responsible for financial monitoring; risk management and must ensure operations are conducted in accordance with Society policies and procedures.
- Must have strong executive presence in the community and can connect effectively with many people including corporate CEO's, people affected by MS, medical professionals, activists, etc. Must be able to effectively and positively communicate Society policies, branding, and statements on controversial issues. Can clearly describe the Society's impact in progress toward a world free of MS.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in leading productive communications and group facilitation which include expressions of conflict and passion, employee hiring, assessment and coaching, decision making, and consensus building
- Must be able and willing as necessary to travel to Society meetings (at least 4 times per year) and throughout the assigned territory (weekly).
- Knowledge of employee relations practices.
- Must demonstrate superior skills in gaining the trust and confidence of a wide range of people, providing strong leadership without specific named authority.
- Microsoft Office
- Constituent relationship management, and online meeting tools
- Strong public speaking, presentation and writing skills required
- Commitment to the mission, vision, cultural values, and expectations of the National MS Society
- This position will be required to drive/travel on Society business. Candidate must possess a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and reliable transportation. The Society does run motor vehicle checks for all positions which require driving and the applicant must meet the Society guidelines.
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society provides a highly competitive, comprehensive benefit package to employees. These benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays; 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Educational Reimbursement Plan; Professional Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Flexible Work Arrangement Options; Comprehensive Health & Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter by applying directly to the job posting located on our company website: