Director of Special Events & Donor RelationsCompany: Clark College Foundation
Date Posted: October 18, 2017
Reports to: Vice President of Development
Effective date: October 2017
Supervises: Development & Special Event Asst.
General Position Summary:
Reporting to the Vice President of Development (VP) and partnering with the development staff, as well as the greater foundation and college teams, this position is responsible for strategically creating and managing special events and donor relations activities carried out by the foundation.
The director of special events and donor relations is a key member of the development leadership group; under the strategic direction of the Chief Advancement Officer (CAO) and VP, the director will help develop and manage all events and activities that promote and support the agenda of the development and donor relations programs of the foundation, including any and all events programmed to benefit foundation advancement efforts. Working with other team leaders, the director will help establish the agendas and objectives of each approved event and, where appropriate, coordinate and manage all aspects of these events including: strategic planning, budget development, mailing lists and invitations, facilities, catering, event programming and technology requirements.
In addition, the director of special events and donor relations will help to create and oversee all stewardship/donor relations programming and activities to thank and acknowledge individuals and entities who philanthropically support Clark College and Clark College Foundation. The director will work with senior leadership and development officers to develop stewardship policies, procedures and strategies, and designate which activities and programs will be conducted by the special events and donor relations team and which ones will be supported by individual development officers, the annual giving program, advancement services and other foundation units. Creation and oversight of individual stewardship strategies related to significant major gifts donors will be a key function of the department director. The director and his/her team will also work with the foundation’s accounting personnel to create and distribute annual endowment reports to all endowment fund donors, as well as any other reports or documents acknowledging the contributions of significant donors to the college and foundation.
Directing Special Events activities – 50%
- Work with the CAO and VP to develop, manage and monitor all special events undertaken by Clark College Foundation and its team members.
- Work with the CAO and VP to help create, manage and monitor annual budgets for all special events of the major units within the development operation, and ensuring the most efficient and effective use of foundation resources at all times.
- Manage administrative support staff responsible for directly assisting the efforts of the special events operations.
- Assist with the coordination and implementation of other college related special events, programs and activities as directed by foundation leaders, when appropriate.
- Work with the advancement team to effectively document all contacts with donors, prospective donors and attendees of special events utilizing Raiser’s Edge as the sole tool for planning and recording all strategic contacts and actions.
- Work with volunteers, board members and community professionals as assigned to create, manage and monitor the foundation’s special events strategies and activities.
Directing Stewardship/Donor Relations programs – 50%
- Work with the CAO, VP and foundation staff leaders to develop, manage and monitor strategic plans for thanking and acknowledging contributions to the foundation made by individuals and entities (including corporations and foundations) making philanthropic contributions. The director will work with advancement services, annual giving and sponsorships, college departments and programs and individual development officers to define the various responsibilities of these entities in the stewardship process and which programs will be managed by the stewardship/donor relations department.
- Under the guidance and direction of the CAO, CFO and VP, the director will help develop and distribute any financial information sent to donors related to their donations including annual giving reports, cumulative giving reports, and endowed funds reports.
- Manage the college’s Visionary Society, and any other society that acknowledges and thanks donors for their contributions.
- Develop and manage all strategic, individualized stewardship plans, in consultation with donor relationship managers, to acknowledge and thank major gift partners.
- Build successful relationships with college faculty, staff and students in order to initiate opportunities for them to interact with donors to help keep them appraised of how their gifts are making a difference.
- Manage administrative support staff responsible for directly assisting the efforts of the donor relations operations.
- Work with volunteers, board members and community professionals as assigned to help create, manage and monitor the foundation’s donor relations programs.
- Work with the advancement team to effectively document all contacts with prospective donors utilizing Raiser’s Edge as the sole tool for planning and recording all strategic stewardship actions.
In addition, the director of special events and donor relations will perform other responsibilities that influence the cultivation and stewardship of assigned major gift opportunities including: strategically creating, coordinating and attending special events; working with alumni related programs and activities; thanking donors; entering appropriate contact information into the Raiser’s Edge system to document interactions with donors and potential donors; working with Clark College administrative and academic leaders in support of development activities; reporting/monitoring her/his activities and productivity; and other related responsibilities as required.
Note: The responsibilities listed above may not include all duties performed by this position. Clark College Foundation reserves the right to assign other appropriate work as may be required to support the needs and purposes of the organization.
Email a cover letter and résumé in one PDF document, with subject “Director of Development” to Kandie King at email@example.com. No calls please. Final candidates will be asked to complete and sign a formal application form. The position is available immediately and will remain open until filled.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.